Skip to main content

The painting felt heavy. Nothing flowed. The horses seemed awkward rather than natural. Somewhere along the way, I had painted the life right out of them.



Stunning primary colors and secondary colors all weaving together for this fabulous palette knife painting by Texas Artist Laurie Pace  aka Elle Pace
©Laurie Pace       Graphics One Design 2026
GRAZING
Oil on Canvas  SOLD  by Laurie Pace  

Sometimes You Have to Destroy It to Find It

I had five horses on my canvas. The bottom layer was just a clean space place the horse layer for me to begin to visualize my direction. 

As I painted, the colors were brighter, the paint was thicker, and I had spent hours working on them.

But something was wrong.

The painting felt heavy. Nothing flowed. The horses seemed awkward rather than natural.
Somewhere along the way, I had painted the life right out of them.

Adding more paint wasn't going to fix it.

I needed to take something away.

So I began painting back into the horses, changing passages I had already worked so hard to create.
There was no guarantee I would improve the painting. But I knew I couldn't leave it the way it was.

Hesitantly movement returned. The heavy passages blended out. The colors began working together instead of shouting out.

The painting started to breathe.

Looking at the three progressive photographs reminds me how often we hold tightly to something simply because we've invested so much in it.

But sometimes letting go is the only way forward.
God reminds us:

“See, I am doing a new thing!” — Isaiah 43:19 (NIV)

Sometimes what looks like destruction is really the beginning of something new.

Sometimes you have to stop protecting what you've painted to discover what the painting can become. Elle


The Spirit of the Paint.
Laurie Pace | Elle Pace

SEO Description:
Artist Laurie Pace shares how painting over five horses transformed a heavy, awkward oil painting into a lesson about letting go, creativity, and grace.

Keywords / Blogger Labels:
Laurie Pace, Elle Pace, Threads of Grace, The Spirit of the Paint, horse painting, equine art, original oil painting, palette knife painting, contemporary impressionism, painting process, artist journey, creative transformation, faith and art, Isaiah 43:19

Blogger Search Description:
Laurie Pace shares how painting over five horses became a lesson in creativity, transformation, letting go, and trusting the process.


Follow the Spirit of the Paint... with Laurie Pace

             


INSTAGRAM : @LauriePaceBlog   Facebook

Laurie is an international artist, her paintings are collected in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Germany, DuBai, Portugal, Italy, France, Germany, the UK, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, St Thomas, Romania, Greece, Croatia, and Ecuador.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EXHAUSTED Woman Figurative Oil Painting, Art Deco Painting, Art Abstract Painting, Women in Kitchen Oil Painting by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

'Exhausted' 24 x 24  Oil on Canvas Contact me to purchase by check or paypal. Laurie     © Laurie Justus Pace     Graphics One Design 2010 My Website   Thinking ahead to the Thanksgiving celebration next week, I remembered back to those previous dinners that I cooked, served, ate quickly, and cleaned up.  This is how I felt.  It is probably strange...even for me but I had the best fun sketching it out and painting it. We lost another dear family member this week. She has celebrated her 'continuation' day and is now with her mom and dad and her other cousins.  She leaves behind a family that will always celebrate her gentleness.  My aunt was special to all of us. She loved each of us dearly for who we were and was always ready with a hug or a 'good job'.    My memories are of breakfast pastries smeared with butter on top. It was not like they were not sweet enough as they were, but at her small kitch...

Sleeping Cowboy . Ernest Hemingway . Sunday, a day of rest . Western Painting by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

   © +Laurie Pace         Graphics One Design 2019 Sleeping Cowboy Commissioned Painting for one of our oldest friends. 2004  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FOLLOW MY BLOG  ON INSTAGRAM     @lauriepaceblog Available Paintings by Laurie Pace          “I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?” Ernest Hemingway  I really enjoyed painting this scene. It was restful to me as the artist  and loved by our friends.  Sunday is the day of rest. I smiled when I found this in archives and thought it perfect for this day.  If you live in Texas you know that we still have 'rules' about not selling liquor before noon.  If you live in Texas and are in your late thirties and up, you might even remember Blue Laws.   Stores were simply NOT open...

Three Remain Contemporary Abstract Horse Paintings by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

   © +Laurie Pace         Graphics One Design 2018 Three Remain    Oil on Canvas.   Size: 16 x 20  Oil on Canvas. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Available Paintings by Laurie Pace  Follow me on Facebook           Sign up for my monthly studio newsletter. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This contemporary abstract horse painting is fresh and wet on the easel.  Been listening to Santana this morning. Then added in some CW with George Strait.   Painting is not complete without some Classical and it was Debussy.  This was painted to be similar to a smaller painting created about three years ago.  Now in the sitting baking stage... I may touch up more as I watch over it.  There are only  maybe three more we...