Skip to main content

Her name is Niki. I once had a friend named Niki. Pop Art moving to a new home...by Laurie Pace




  ©+Laurie Pace       Graphics One Design 2015

 Sold  Acrylic on Canvas.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her name is Niki. I once had a friend named Niki. Pop Art heading to a new home.

Ten days ago I had a phone call on my cell phone with the caller ID 'Niki Hardin Home'.  I dropped the phone and immediately and Terry looked at me with questioning eyes.  You see my friend Niki died two years ago.  She had Lou Gehrig's.  I truly hesitated to pick up the phone. As far as I knew her only son had closed out her estate over a year ago.  Sold the house (with the "home phone")..hence my hesitation to get a call from this number.

It turned out to be her son.  He was so disturbed by his mother's death that he could not function for the past 20 months and finally it dawned on him he had to move forward with the changes in his life.  He was in his forties, his mother's only child, and had moved to live with her just a few years prior to her death.  He had not sold the house. He had not closed the estate.  He was having an estate sale this past weekend. He still had all the artwork she had collected and this one was of her in one of my pop art series.   

He texted me yesterday that a New York Fine Art Collector came and picked out four of my paintings, including this one entitled NIKI.   I wait hesitantly knowing it will go to a new home and new collector once he gets it back to New York.  Seems strange as a piece of me goes to live with a stranger, especially a portrait of someone. 

Niki Hardin was my heart sister for 10 years.  She was a remarkable woman. I am on the left in this picture and she is on the right.  She gave of herself to families all over the United States. She began SUNRISE for family with Tourette Syndrome. The kids, as they were teens, would travel to Washington DC where she lived on the Occoquan River for a huge retreat every other year. On the off year, the National Tourette Syndrome had their big gathering in DC.  

So change occurs constantly as I wrote yesterday. But nothing can change my love and respect for this wonderful woman. I miss her everyday because we used to talk every day. She taught me much over those ten years. We only knew each other via phone the first year and when we faced a move, she arrived to help pack and unpack us in the new home. A year later, when our eldest grandson died at age 11, she was on a plane that very day, flying into Dallas to help handle everything she could.  Her love multiplied out all over the world.  

Change... can you change?  Can you learn to give so that you fully live?

Laurie

'I know your deeds, and your love and faith and service and perseverance, and that your deeds of late are greater than at first." Revelation 2:19 


#horsepainting  #lauriepaceart  #equineart

Laurie Pace
A Texas Artist 


GALLERY LINKS

© Graphics One Design 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mixed Media Collage Horse Paintings by Texas Artist Laurie Justus Pace

  © G.O.D. Laurie Justus Pace      Graphics One Design 2013 Horse Collage Fall 2013  12 x 18 inches Mixed Media on Canvas.  This was an intentional paint to imitate one of the 100 ponies I did in 2012. That poor little 8 x 10 pony was loved by a company to do very large prints and it was not here for me to even use to scan... so I created something with the same heart, a kindred spirit. The underlays are pages from a western book and then torn papers of different varieties were added along with stains of paint and purposeful areas of paint.  This would not be a painting I would do today, but the goal was to capture the spirit of the first painting. This is available for purchase. Please click here  to see pricing and painting. Laurie Pace A Texas Artist Pace Studio  Graphics One Design My Blog          My Website          Gicl...

EXHAUSTED Woman Figurative Oil Painting, Art Deco Painting, Art Abstract Painting, Women in Kitchen Oil Painting by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

'Exhausted' 24 x 24  Oil on Canvas Contact me to purchase by check or paypal. Laurie     © Laurie Justus Pace     Graphics One Design 2010 My Website   Thinking ahead to the Thanksgiving celebration next week, I remembered back to those previous dinners that I cooked, served, ate quickly, and cleaned up.  This is how I felt.  It is probably strange...even for me but I had the best fun sketching it out and painting it. We lost another dear family member this week. She has celebrated her 'continuation' day and is now with her mom and dad and her other cousins.  She leaves behind a family that will always celebrate her gentleness.  My aunt was special to all of us. She loved each of us dearly for who we were and was always ready with a hug or a 'good job'.    My memories are of breakfast pastries smeared with butter on top. It was not like they were not sweet enough as they were, but at her small kitch...

Sleeping Cowboy . Ernest Hemingway . Sunday, a day of rest . Western Painting by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

   © +Laurie Pace         Graphics One Design 2019 Sleeping Cowboy Commissioned Painting for one of our oldest friends. 2004  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FOLLOW MY BLOG  ON INSTAGRAM     @lauriepaceblog Available Paintings by Laurie Pace          “I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?” Ernest Hemingway  I really enjoyed painting this scene. It was restful to me as the artist  and loved by our friends.  Sunday is the day of rest. I smiled when I found this in archives and thought it perfect for this day.  If you live in Texas you know that we still have 'rules' about not selling liquor before noon.  If you live in Texas and are in your late thirties and up, you might even remember Blue Laws.   Stores were simply NOT open...