Skip to main content

Pre Canvas Sketch Sailboats at Sunset, Contemporary Sailboat Painting by Texas Artist Laurie Pace



  
  © G.O.D. Laurie Justus Pace      Graphics One Design 2013

Gift Painting for  Friend that loves Sailboats
32 x 48 inches Oil on Canvas. SOLD 

SO you will watch this one from beginning sketches through the paint this week. I have a busy month in the studio but it is with three or four large paintings, so you will see the progress peppered in with anything small I do along the way. I am reserving MONDAYS each week as the 'art lesson day' to help beginners with art. Many artists out there are doing paint alongs for other artists, but some beginners are truly not really ready for paint alongs. You have to have a knowledgable foundation in art to learn the basics, train your eye and extend your knowledge so you create things that are apart of who you are and not 
imitate the art of others.   

This will be a palette knife painting and this one starts with a sketch on the canvas.   I use charcoal directly on the canvas and this time, no I did not pre-paint the canvas with acrylic. I really believe a soft coat wiped on is the best, but I was eager to get started and since this was for a friend I know I will be triple coating the layers of paint. 

He and his wife ask for five sailboats.. and so I decided to put the combo almost centered but not quite... and as you can see the boats are both taking the wind from angles hence the tacking as they go back and forth hurrying to the shore before the evening hits and the winds die back.  Getting stranded on a catamaran like we have when the wind stops means a lot of paddling.  These larger sailboats have small motors that get them back to dock should that happen. 

Little note:  Did any of you know that my husband proposed to me April 5th at sunset while we were sailing on a beautiful 38 ft sailboat? We were tacking deeper into the center of the lake almost chasing the sun as it was setting on the western shore.  Our best friend was at the helm and I was up front feeling the spray off the front, and Terry made his way up to me... it was standing there clinging to ropes and holds that he proposed to me.  Must have been a preview of the years to come that we have had many battles against the wind and waves, but knowing we were together hand in hand we have made it through.  Sailboats are very special to us.


Laurie Pace
A Texas Artist


Pace Studio 
Graphics One Design



GALLERY LINKS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mixed Media Collage Horse Paintings by Texas Artist Laurie Justus Pace

  © G.O.D. Laurie Justus Pace      Graphics One Design 2013 Horse Collage Fall 2013  12 x 18 inches Mixed Media on Canvas.  This was an intentional paint to imitate one of the 100 ponies I did in 2012. That poor little 8 x 10 pony was loved by a company to do very large prints and it was not here for me to even use to scan... so I created something with the same heart, a kindred spirit. The underlays are pages from a western book and then torn papers of different varieties were added along with stains of paint and purposeful areas of paint.  This would not be a painting I would do today, but the goal was to capture the spirit of the first painting. This is available for purchase. Please click here  to see pricing and painting. Laurie Pace A Texas Artist Pace Studio  Graphics One Design My Blog          My Website          Gicl...

EXHAUSTED Woman Figurative Oil Painting, Art Deco Painting, Art Abstract Painting, Women in Kitchen Oil Painting by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

'Exhausted' 24 x 24  Oil on Canvas Contact me to purchase by check or paypal. Laurie     © Laurie Justus Pace     Graphics One Design 2010 My Website   Thinking ahead to the Thanksgiving celebration next week, I remembered back to those previous dinners that I cooked, served, ate quickly, and cleaned up.  This is how I felt.  It is probably strange...even for me but I had the best fun sketching it out and painting it. We lost another dear family member this week. She has celebrated her 'continuation' day and is now with her mom and dad and her other cousins.  She leaves behind a family that will always celebrate her gentleness.  My aunt was special to all of us. She loved each of us dearly for who we were and was always ready with a hug or a 'good job'.    My memories are of breakfast pastries smeared with butter on top. It was not like they were not sweet enough as they were, but at her small kitch...

Sleeping Cowboy . Ernest Hemingway . Sunday, a day of rest . Western Painting by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

   © +Laurie Pace         Graphics One Design 2019 Sleeping Cowboy Commissioned Painting for one of our oldest friends. 2004  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FOLLOW MY BLOG  ON INSTAGRAM     @lauriepaceblog Available Paintings by Laurie Pace          “I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?” Ernest Hemingway  I really enjoyed painting this scene. It was restful to me as the artist  and loved by our friends.  Sunday is the day of rest. I smiled when I found this in archives and thought it perfect for this day.  If you live in Texas you know that we still have 'rules' about not selling liquor before noon.  If you live in Texas and are in your late thirties and up, you might even remember Blue Laws.   Stores were simply NOT open...