Skip to main content

Figurative Painting Child with flowers, Portraits, Texas Artist Laurie Pace

Flower Girl
18 x 24.. still in progress..
But soon available.

© Laurie Pace  Graphics One Design 1998-2011

Closeup    Still working on shadows and blending.



FAMILY

Yesterday we had family arrive... Justin, Tara and grandson Jonathan. We helped raise Jon for his early years in life until about age 7.  He is pretty special to us as he approaches his 14th birthday this summer.

 I ran around yesterday morning sweeping and mopping and just before they arrived I realized I was missing my bracelets and my cross. I had literally 'given up' everything at the spa the day before.  It was a mad search in my purse to find it all, including my wedding rings.  But all was found, work was finished...and they arrived safely.

Our visit will be full of fishing, sailing and lots of visiting with eating involved.  This morning Terry is making those good yeast waffles that my brother and sister in law make.  I am hungry but have to patiently wait. I am heading out to cut up strawberries and cantaloupe so we have fresh fruit...oh and blueberries added in the mix.

Made me think back to summers when I was 13.  We would travel 10-11 hours to St Louis to visit my cousins and my grandmother. We always stayed a week or two to make the journey count.  Now days everything seems on warp speed.  Have to go, hurry through and do everything and get back home quickly.  Our lifestyles are in warp speed. When was the last time you took a real vacation?  You could have gone somewhere or even nowhere.  A vacation from all that stress and those commitments and responsibilities? A vacation without your computer?  I know it would be stretching it, but with out your phone? 

Terry and I went into Mt Pleasant to Lowe's and to the grocery store on Monday.  NO PHONES... we went without them.  We gave it about 20 seconds of...'I forget my phone'...'should I turn back'... NO... and off we continued.  We can live and survive without all of it. 

What are the true basics we need to survive? Could you give it all up? Try is for half a day. Then try it for a full day.  Do you think you could make a week?

Laurie          
 
“Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.” Matthew 24:35 NIV
 
 
GALLERY LINKS

Comments

Grammie Jan said…
Good morning lil' sis,
Sounds like you have some fun times ahead.
"Giving up" made me think back just three weeks ago when our microwave bit the dust. Since Hugh and Nathan were here we did not venture out to buy a new one until they left - although I am sure they would have appreciated a replacement I did not want to give up on e second with them for their time to go back home would come all too soon. We were very surprised to realize how much we relied on the microwave but, of course, we survived. I too will, on occasion, leave the house without my phone and pray that I won't be in a situation where I will regret not going back for it but again I survive. These blips in our lives of being without a convenience are good for us - they help us to realize that if push came to shove we would be just fine without these modern day "toys." Who knows we might be a more slender society if we had fewer modern conveniences. Do I really, in my heart of hearts, want to give up any of them? No, but I truly appreciate the luxury of having them in my home.
Love you and a great big hug to you,
Jan

Popular posts from this blog

EXHAUSTED Woman Figurative Oil Painting, Art Deco Painting, Art Abstract Painting, Women in Kitchen Oil Painting by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

'Exhausted' 24 x 24  Oil on Canvas Contact me to purchase by check or paypal. Laurie     © Laurie Justus Pace     Graphics One Design 2010 My Website   Thinking ahead to the Thanksgiving celebration next week, I remembered back to those previous dinners that I cooked, served, ate quickly, and cleaned up.  This is how I felt.  It is probably strange...even for me but I had the best fun sketching it out and painting it. We lost another dear family member this week. She has celebrated her 'continuation' day and is now with her mom and dad and her other cousins.  She leaves behind a family that will always celebrate her gentleness.  My aunt was special to all of us. She loved each of us dearly for who we were and was always ready with a hug or a 'good job'.    My memories are of breakfast pastries smeared with butter on top. It was not like they were not sweet enough as they were, but at her small kitch...

Sleeping Cowboy . Ernest Hemingway . Sunday, a day of rest . Western Painting by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

   © +Laurie Pace         Graphics One Design 2019 Sleeping Cowboy Commissioned Painting for one of our oldest friends. 2004  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FOLLOW MY BLOG  ON INSTAGRAM     @lauriepaceblog Available Paintings by Laurie Pace          “I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?” Ernest Hemingway  I really enjoyed painting this scene. It was restful to me as the artist  and loved by our friends.  Sunday is the day of rest. I smiled when I found this in archives and thought it perfect for this day.  If you live in Texas you know that we still have 'rules' about not selling liquor before noon.  If you live in Texas and are in your late thirties and up, you might even remember Blue Laws.   Stores were simply NOT open...

Three Remain Contemporary Abstract Horse Paintings by Texas Artist Laurie Pace

   © +Laurie Pace         Graphics One Design 2018 Three Remain    Oil on Canvas.   Size: 16 x 20  Oil on Canvas. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Available Paintings by Laurie Pace  Follow me on Facebook           Sign up for my monthly studio newsletter. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This contemporary abstract horse painting is fresh and wet on the easel.  Been listening to Santana this morning. Then added in some CW with George Strait.   Painting is not complete without some Classical and it was Debussy.  This was painted to be similar to a smaller painting created about three years ago.  Now in the sitting baking stage... I may touch up more as I watch over it.  There are only  maybe three more we...